In honor of Mother’s Day this Sunday (did you forget? consider yourself reminded and go get her something pretty!), I enlisted my brothers and sisters, and I have compiled a list of our favorite sayings that My Sweet Mama Always Said. (Thanks, Southern Living for the inspiration!)
- Choose your friends wisely, cause soon you’ll be just like ’em.
- You’re sleeping your life away!
- Keep your legs crossed.
- I hope you have so much fun and feel so pretty in that!
- Whoop! Whoop!
- Love you, sugar!
- Always tell each other than you love them because that may be your last chance to.
- You got a wild hair that needs pulling?
- Go get me a switch!
- Pretty is as pretty does.
- I am trusting you until you give me a reason NOT to.
- A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.
- You need some lipstick!
- Just try it on, it may fit!
- Let me fix you something to eat, that’ll make ya feel better!
- Sleep on your stomach, you won’t have bad dreams then.
- Let’s go fishin’!
- That’s how it all got started anyway…
- Don’t be a sour puss!
- Can I fix you something to eat?
- Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly is to the bone.
- Never date anyone you wouldn’t want to marry.
- I’m gonna go home with you and mess up your room!
- I don’t need anything, I’ve got all I need right here.
- I’m never alone, the good Lord’s with me.
- Are you SURE I can’t fix you something to eat?
- Don’t take their picture.
- (old wives’ tale re: sewing on Sunday) You’ll be pulling those stitches out with your nose!
- If the good Lord’s willing and the creek don’t rise!
- That’s just asinine.
- Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?
- Your name will go farther than you ever will.
And there’s countless others.
Mama was always teaching us something valuable, lifting our spirits, or making us laugh – sometimes all at once! She was a gem for sure and wasn’t shy about owning up to her uniqueness, often saying “He broke the mold when He made me!” And we all miss her so, so much.
If your mama is still with you, please hug her extra tight and tell her you love her. As My Sweet Mama always said, “You never know if that will be your last chance.”
And to all the mamas out there, I hope you have a happy, happy day, surrounded by those you love most.
Happy Mother’s Day, y’all!